Questions & Answers
Can't find what you're looking for? Click contact us to send us a message.
SEND US A MESSAGE
Yes, the new owners of Sunglo are trying to get all the parts needed to start selling greenhouses again and are finding lead times for parts ranging from 2-4 months. This means there will be a significant delay before the selling of a full greenhouse kit can begin. To get on our sales list please sign up on our Contact Us page and you will get notified of our current status. You can also pre-order a greenhouse for a small amount down that is refundable which will move you to the high priority list so you will get the first greenhouses available. Go to the Greenhouse Kits page and select your model then the Pre-Order button to start that process. Thanks for your understanding.
You will get all the parts needed to build a Sunglo Greenhouse, even the fasteners. The building process requires assembly and small tool skills. Some of the tools are even included like a riveting tool.
Sunglo Greenhouses selected Acrylic over 40 years ago for the following reasons:
- It can be easily custom formed to a corrugated shape to meet Sunglo specifications which are:
- A corrugated profile provides maximum light dispersion across every part of the greenhouse so plants grow great no matter where they are located (watch the light transmittal test video on gallery page).
- Sunglo’s custom corrugated profile is thicker (1.37”) for a higher R value (a higher R value means it can better keep out the winter cold or summer heat) and better stiffness for durability. Polycarbonate panels are typically .25” to .625” thick.
- It can be 2 layers:
- One outside layer that is a single sheet .057” thick for flexibility, impact resistance, and ease of replacement if it ever gets damaged by mother nature.
- One inner corrugated layer for R value and durability.
- An optional 3rd layer offered in our Winter Package that nearly doubles the R value to 4.5+.
- Acrylic has a built-in ability to resist UV damage which is the reason all plastic eventually gets brittle and yellows in the direct sun. This built-in capability will last longer than Polycarbonate which uses a coating that wears off (typically within 10 yrs), thus adding years to your Sunglo Greenhouse panels life.
- This UV protection has proven to be true, as some Sunglo Greenhouses built in the 1990’s still having their original acrylic panels.
- Technical specs show Acrylic lets in 10% more light that plants need than double wall Polycarbonate (90% vs 80%), and the number increases to 14%+ more light from acrylic when comparing to triple wall Polycarbonate (90% vs 76%, some triple wall sheets go as low as 35% light transmittal).
Do your home work and see for yourself the clear acrylic advantage.
Steel Frame vs. Aluminum Frame
Which is best for a Greenhouse?
The two most popular materials for greenhouse frames are galvanized steel and aluminum. Given that greenhouses are a very moist environment year-round and can be hit by major winds and deep snows the selection of your frame material is critical to determining how long your greenhouse will last. Wood of course should never be considered given moisture and wood do not mix well, so you will be in a constant state of maintenance.
Sunglo Greenhouses has been using an aluminum frame for over 40 years for the following reasons:
- Aluminum can not rust so it does need any extra coatings, paint, etc…
- A steel frame must by galvanized to prevent rust but the galvanized coating will eventually fail and then the frame will rust. How long before failure is dependent on the location (coastal sea air for example is bad), exposure to acid rain, moisture levels above 60% (typical in a greenhouse), damage to coating, etc…
- Aluminum can be extruded into any shape to maximize its strength per weight ratio.
- The profiles of the Sunglo greenhouse were designed by Boeing Engineers who know a thing or two about making strong aluminum structures, think commercial jets. Keep that in mind when a competitor claims aluminum is not very strong.
- The Sunglo frame is riveted together just like commercial jets, rivets tend to hold better than screws which can loosen over time.
- Sunglo only uses 6063 – T5 aluminum
- Aluminum weighs much less than steel to lower shipping costs and allow for easier moving of the greenhouse in the future.
- Many of our customers have literally picked up their Sunglo Greenhouse (with help from friends), loaded it on a trailer, and brought it with them to their new location.
- Aluminum does not degrade from exposure to the sun and its damaging UV waves.
Sunglo greenhouses that were sold 40+ years ago are still showing no signs of frame failure and holding up to the highest wind and snow loads in places like Alaska, Minnesota, Montana and many other extreme weather states. Based on 40 yrs. of evidence we believe Sunglo Greenhouses are the most durable on the market and the aluminum frame is one of the main reasons why.
You will need:
- a quality drill (cordless is best),
- drill bits (provided by Sunglo),
- framing level 4′ or longer,
- framing square,
- vise grip pliers,
- phillip’s screw driver / drill bit,
- rubber mallet,
- sharp utility knife for scoring acrylic,
- riveting tool (provided by Sunglo),
- caulking gun & silicon caulk
- saw for creating of wood foundation,
- other tools unique per site.
For accessories/parts, Sunglo uses standard shipping methods like UPS and Fedex. At time of checkout the customer will have a choice of methods when applicable, based on shipping time and costs. For bulky and long parts the shipping method will automatically be adjusted to a method that can handle the size constraints. Accessories/parts will typically ship within 2 business days after the order has been placed. All shipping charges come directly from the shipping company with an additional handling fee added.
For greenhouse kits:
For greenhouse kits, Sunglo will exclusively use LTL Freight Companies that can specifically handle the higher weights and sizes of the kit, no alternative shipping methods will be offered. Kits will arrive on oversize pallets (a typical pallet is 48″ x 96″) and will be delivered to the destination at the easiest location the truck can reach.
The greenhouse kit will typically ship within 7 business days after the order has been placed. All shipping charges come directly from the shipping company with an additional handling fee added.